Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Me Against the Distro

What a provocative title, eh? Well, it wont hurt to do that once in a while, right? For all of you distro-lovers out there, just read my passage to know why, ok?

Here goes.

Distro. What in the world is this? It is the short of "distribution store", meaning, it's a store to distribute things. Or, to be more accurate, a store to distribute things that are made by the owner of the store (taken by wikipedia); those things are usually wearable like jacket, t-shirt, watch, shoes, you name it.

According to wikipedia, distro trends begin at 1990 as a way for indie band to sell their merchandise (maybe for raising funds). And some punk and skateboard community followed this trend; they built small shop to sell some merchandise. In 2007, there were 700 distro industries and 300 of them were in bandung. Wow, such big number, and almost half of them are in bandung. That shows how creative bandungers is, eh? (such narcissist I am)

Distro's plus point is their exclusiveness, because their products are produced in a limited number (not mass produced like factory-made garment). Another distro's plus points is their product's uniqueness, as in the printout of their t-shirt or the design of their jacket.

And, believe or not, this second plus point is what attracted me most.

Yes, I know. The title suggest that I hated distro. But, no. I don't hate distro. In fact, I'm in awe with them.

Correction: I'm in awe with their creativeness and uniqueness. There's something that catch your eye in their products and that "something" is not existed in mass-produced garments. It satisfies my needs of "be different", "be unique", and "be standout". To name one, it will be "Unkl347" and OUVALRSCH. They're the best i've met so far.

But,for some reason, I do hate distro. Because of its unfriendliness to big-bodied-boy like me. I'm 180/70. That means, the size that fit me well is XL. And, finding XL-sized in distro is like finding a grain of salt in the desert (if that makes sense, i made that up), it's hard to find one.

Just wanna tell stories, a year ago I fell in love with one of the unkl's jacket. It was typical brown, army-look jacket, but the design captivates my eye. But, when I was going to buy that, the shopkeeper said that the only size available is S. Of course it's in possible to fit me in that size, so I gave up on that. But, first love remains, and it makes me harder to choose which jacket to buy because I'm still loving that one jacket.

So, if any of you distro managers read my passage, please, be more friendly with big-bulky-bodied person like me. Ok?

Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe, aku mah ga suka ke distro gara-gara: HARGANYA MAHAL.

kalo liat harga-harganya pasti refleks ngebandingin sama pasar baru atau gasibu, dan mikir "harga segini kalo dibelanjain di gasibu pasti dapet banyak!". hehe ;9

tengkiu fer, aku juga lagi nyusun puzzle lagi, mudah-mudahan cepet beres :)

oh iya, yang rencana liburan ke rumah kamu teh jadi ga?

whiteblackwings said...

hmm...ntar aku cariin program penyusutan badan deh, fer. :p ga deng, bercanda. seharusnya ada beruntung tingginya 180 coz banyak cowo yang ngiler pengen punya tinggi segitu...heuheu

Chand.Lim said...

:))

makanya jadi orang jangan ketinggian amat :P